Delta State

About Delta State

Delta State is found in the oil-rich South South geopolitical zone of Nigeria and shares boundaries with Edo, Anambra, Imo, Rivers and Bayelsa States. Delta state has a total of 25 Lgas which include Aniocha North, Aniocha South Bomadi, Burutu, Ethipoe east, Ethiope west, Ika Northeast, Ika south, Isoko north, Isoko South, Ndokwa east, Ndokwa west, Okpe, Oshimilil Patani, Sapele, Udu, Ughelli North, Ughelli south, Ukwuani, Uvwie, Warri north, Warri south, and Warri south-west. Asaba is the State’s capital while population of the state is estimated at 4,098, 393 inhabitants. Other popular towns in Delta state include Warri, Agbor, Effurun and Sapele. Tertiary institutions in Delta state include the Federal University of Petroleum Resources Effurun, Delta state University, Delta state Polytechnic, Filma and Broad casting Academy Ozoro, College of Education Agbor, College of education Warri, Federal College of Educatiobn ( Technical) Asaba, College of Physical education Mosogar, School of Health technology Ughelli, Western Delta University Oghara, Novena University Ogume Amai, National Open University of Nigeria Asaba, Delta school of Marine Technology Burutu, and the Nigerian Maritime University Okerenkoko. 

Christianity is the dominant religious affiliation of the inhabitants of Delta State. The major ethnic groups in Delta State include the Urhobo, Ijaw, Izon, Isoko, Itsekiri and Anioma while popular landmarks in Delta State include the Warri Refinery, the Warri township stadium and the Delta State University in Abraka. Hospitals found in Delta state include the Delta state University Teaching Hospital Oghara, Federal Medical Center Asaba, Ufor Hospital Ughelli, Lily Hospital Abraka, Baptist Medical Center Ehu, Central Hospital Sapele, General Hospital Ekpan Warri, St. Josephs Catholic hospital Asaba, and the Central Hospital Agbor. 

Delta state is home to several indigenous dishes with the most popular being the Banga soup which is made primarily from oil palm nuts.


DELTA STATE GOVERNOR

The Governor of Delta State is Ifeanyi Okowa.


DELTA STATE SLOGAN

Big Heart of the Nation


GEOGRAPHY OF DELTA STATE

Delta state has a total area measuring  16, 842 km squared with several clusters of water bodies. 60 percent of the state's total area is land while the remaining 40 percent comprises of water. The state's topography is largely low-lying with an absence of hills and elevations and has several rivers, streams and tributaries. 

There are two seasons in Delta state, the dry season and the rainy season with the average precipitation being around 4000 mm per annum and th average annual temperature being 26 degrees centigrade.         


ECONOMY OF DELTA STATE

Delta state is rich in crude oil and natural gas reserves and this is a major source of resource accrual to the state. Delta state is also home to the Warri refinery as well as having the presence of several local and multinational oil and gas companies.Trade is also an important economic activity in Delta state with the state hosting several markets such as the Abavo, Agbado, Edaiken Uselu, Ekeosa market, Eyaen cattle market, Kara, Eki osa market, Oliha, Oka, Uselu, Vegetable market, Efferun market Effurun, Ogbagonogo market Asaba, and the cable market Asaba. 

Also, inhabitants of Delta state engage in fishing and Agriculture on both the subsistence and commercial levels as means of livelihood. The town of Asaba is also largely popular for its trading activities owing largely to its close proximity to the ultra commercial town of Onitsha. Asaba is also a hub for movie acting and production as a great number of Nollywood movies are shot and produced there. 

Other mineral resources found in Delta state include industrial clay, silica, Lignite, kaolin, tar sand, precious rocks, limestone, salt, manganese, mica, gold, and quartz.

HISTORY OF DELTA STATE

Delta state was created in 1991 from the old Bendel State under the Gen Ibrahim Babangida administration. Brigadier Chijiuba Ochulor was the pioneer administrator of the state and he ruled from August 1991 to January 1992. Past Governors of Delta state include 

Chijiuba Luke Ochulor - 1991-1992

Felix Ibru - 1992- 1993

Abdulkadir Shehu- Nov 1993- December 1993

Bassey Asuquo- 1993 -1994

Ibrahim Kefas - 1994- 1996

John Dunga- 1996-1998

Walter Feghabo- 1998-1999

James Ibori - 1999- 2007

Emmanuel Uduaghan- 2007- 2015

Ifeanyi Okowa- 2015 - date. 


Review & Rate DELTA STATE

Writing reviews may help others discover and know more about this place. What do you know about Delta State? Why not drop a review and rating.

Rating

Awesome
Good
Just there
Below Average
Sucks
Overall Ratings

4 based on 0 reviews

Reviews

    No reviews yet.

© 2018 Manpower Nigeria.  All rights reserved.